Zulu - Syncing with Google Calendars
From 360Works Product Documentation Wiki
Revision as of 15:19, 28 June 2019 by Amber
- Zulu can sync with a Google Calendar account, allowing users to view FileMaker events through the Google Calendar interface.
- Zulu must be installed: Zulu - Installation
- Your calendars must be published: How To Publish Calendars
- You will need a Google Account, as you will need to log into this as part of the configuration.
- We recommend that you set up your own Google API Key, so you are not sharing an API quota limit with other users: Google Generate API Key
Setup a Google Sync Configuration
- Go to the Zulu Admin Console, and navigate to the Sync Admin Page. See here for more info: Zulu - The Admin Console
- Click the "Add New Sync Configuration" button
- Name your configuration. This name has no particular significance except to help you keep track of which configurations do what. For example, you might name your configuration "Office Google Sync".
- On the next screen, supply a FileMaker username and password that Zulu will use to fetch events for this sync.
- Type the name of the database that has your calendar events in it, if you type the first few letters, Zulu should auto-populate this list if it is able to communicate with FileMaker Server.
- On the next screen, select the FileMaker calendars that you want to include in this sync:
- Next, select the Google option and click the "Authenticate Google Account" button. This will open up a Google prompt to authenticate Zulu's access to your calendars.
- Select the Google Account that you want Zulu to sync with, and login to Google for that account
- Click the "Allow" button to give Zulu access to your Google Calendars
- You should be redirected back to the admin console page, and the account showing as Authenticated. Click the "Next" button.
- Use the dropdown menu to select the calendar that you want Zulu to sync with. This screen allows you to pair FileMaker calendars with Google ones. Optionally, you can select "Create one for me" to have Zulu create a calendar in your account.
- You can change the directionality individually for each of your calendars included in your sync configuration by clicking on the directionality graphic between the FileMaker calendar name and the Google calendar name. Zulu 2 offers three different sync directions:
- Bidirectional (insert/update/delete on both sides of the sync)
- Read From Hub (insert/update/delete only in the Google Calendar)
- Read From Spoke (insert/update/delete only in the FileMaker Calendar)
- Minimum Start Date: This field takes a date. The date should be in the format: 1/13/2019
- Events in Google will be completely ignored by Zulu if their Start Date falls before the Minimum Start Date specified here
- Hit the "Finish" button. This will save the configuration and return you to the Sync Admin menu.
- Test your configuration out by hitting the "Sync Now" button. This will immediately run a sync, and return warnings or errors if there are any additional problems with the sync.
Additional Tips for Google Syncs
- Setup your own Google API key. This will let you have your own Google API Quota, and not have to share a quote with other users.